Thursday 30 October 2008

Brisbane-Byron Bay-Sydney


[Sydney from space- the A points at the city center: click picture for enlargement]

Dear All!

After Noosa I traveled to Brisbane where I have spent a couple of days with a Dutch friend [Merel] I have met along the way. Brisbane is quite a nice city- even though many people try to convince me otherwise. It has a nice breeze [thanks to the big river curling trough it] and some very interesting architecture, like for instance the State Library of Queensland. This is a renovated building on the banks of the river that really embraces the Queensland climate. The architects have almost created an 'outdoor' library; they have generated many generous and pleasant outdoor spaces where visitors and passers-by comfortably mix and enjoy a book.

After the hectic traveling of the last few weeks [Whitsundays/Hervey Bay/Fraser/Rainbowbeach/Noosa] it was very nice to just enjoy a glass of wine, a book, a night in the cinema and a chat in the park.

After Brisbane I have traveled to Byron Bay- a famous backpackers-destination with a very good surf. I stayed there only a couple of days, mainly walking a bit and reading [The Kiterunner- what a great book!]. I also enjoyed some nice seafood restaurants. Everybody told me that Byron Bay absolutely rocked, but I found it rather small and calm... but probably I have missed something. Although I probably only missed a couple of nice clubs/bars.

But I had to keep traveling. I had booked my flight from Sydney to Melbourne already, so I had only 4 days left to visit Sydney.

Sydney was the first Australian city that really felt like a real global city. This had the feel of a New York, a London or a San Francisco to it. I really loved Sydney. It's amazing how the whole city is facing a couple of see-arms that run trough the city. It feels like this city has a big public square in its center. On nice day's it is full of little [sail]boats and ferries. Also the operahouse was extremely interesting! I couldn't believe I was finally seeing [and entering for I have gone to watch a Palestinian play there one evening] this architectural icon. I thought I would be disappointed but it was very interesting [beauty is such a subjective thing and doesn't really interest me in this case]. It felt like a dream, walking around it, or taking the ferry to one of the suburbs and passing it by boat.

Along with top-class galleries and museums, Sydney has very pleasant [and hip] characteristic suburbs. I visited Manley and also Bondi Beach [by taking the ferry from the city-center]. There was a sculpture exhibition along the coast near Bondi Beach [which was a bit to crowded for me that Saturday] and so I spent one afternoon walking a big chunk of the coastline, going from beach to beach. So nice how almost everybody in Sydney lives 'by the sea'!! Really, people, if you have the chance, visit Sydney once.

Then I flew to Melbourne to go and find a job. I am staying with Dennis, Matt and Merrin again- it's so much fun! They are sooo nice!

Talk to you soon.

Bas.

THE PICTURES

No comments: