Monday 8 September 2008

Darwin-Cairns-Townsville

Darwin was a pretty nice town. The climate however, was a bit hard to deal with. At the moment is what they call the build-up. Everyday starts sunny and warm and end a cloudy and humid. There is no rain yet, the Wet will start only in a month or two, but humidity is building up. So, in Darwin it was warm and humid. And not much of a breeze to relief us.

Mark and I spent our last days hanging out together, visting a night market next to Mindil beach (where we ate Crocodile, Emu, Camel and Wallaby). We met tons of interesting people to hangout with (japanese, Irish, kiwi, south-korean). Among them Marielle and Birthe, the girls from on the road. We met up several times for some beers, or just some hanging out. I tought them the TIMTAMTRICK. Tim Tam's are Australia's favourite chocolate cookie (oh yes they are amazingly good, hard chocolate on the outside, soft caramel chand chocolate inside between some crunchy biscuits). They are rectangular and the trick goes as follows (Dennis and co. tought me in Melbourne): bite of the diagonal oposite corners of the cookie, dip one end in hot tea, and suck the other end. Once you either feel tea in your mouth or the cookie going soft, you pop it into your mouths entirely at once. It will just explode inside... superb! Marielle got the hang of it quickly, Mark and especially Birthe will need a lot of practise to get the prober result.

I left Darwin by plane, to Cairns where I stayed in a very nice hostell. Birthe followed me the next day, because she had 3 weeks of travelling booked, starting from that hostell. I also met Alister, a South African guy who's going to live her in Australia permanently after travelling for a while (which he starts now). We had some great political discussions, right from the start! I had missed that a bit with Mark. I have also told myself I should take more pictures of the people I meet, so I can remember them properly, so Alister (and Gary) and Birthe and Marielle should be there in between the photos somewhere.

After two days in Cairns I took the Greyhound bus and travelled to Townsville. The bustrip was amazing! I hope the fotos (from the bus, so those pictures will not be the best) well show it a bit. Beautifull rainforrested mountains and the valleys filled with suger-cane and banana plantations. So nice to travel those (6hours) distances and just enjoy my ipod!

No comments: